If you have started an e-commerce website but you aren’t seeing good enough traffic and conversions on your site then you need to blame your SEO strategy.
SEO is an important aspect of any Digital Marketing strategy. SEO completes the marketing strategy. Many people aren’t aware of the fact that SEO yields the highest Return on Investment (ROI) of any e-commerce marketing strategy hence most of the online businesses are organized without taking search engine into consideration. It hurts their business pretty badly. That’s why SEO is so important.
Without SEO, your audience can’t find you and your e-commerce needs customers to survive. And getting customers’ attention is not cheap. You can gain a few customers by spending dollars but the right SEO can get you customers organically or in other words, without spending any money. Hence, you need to shift your priorities to SEO.
In this article I am going to talk about some SEO techniques which can help you to make your e-commerce website successful.
Let’s jump right into it
SEO for your e-commerce website
Here are listed some SEO tactics you can include in your marketing strategy to grow your e-commerce business.
✱ Keyword research
This is the first and one of the most important step in SEO. Do not ignore or skip it. If you aren’t following this step then two things might happen
Either you’ll target keywords that are not easier to rank hence, you won’t make it to the first page of the search engine results. Or you’ll target the keywords that don’t get a lot of traffic. These situations doesn’t create any favorable scenario for your business.
Now you know why keyword research is so important. You need to identify and target the keywords that are easy to get rank for, have fair search volume and high conversion rate.
So you need to do a thorough research on the keywords that will bring a lot more traffic and conversion rather than using the keywords that are difficult to rank for. For instance, if you are selling laptops on your website, then having the keyword “best laptop” may not enhance the conversion but if you use “DellInspiron5000series”- it will be more effective in producing high conversion.
So, do the complete research and use the right keywords. You should think from the users’ perspective, what he or she may think while searching for a particular product. You can take help from the well established e-commerce companies like Amazon, eBay etc. See what type of keywords your competitors use.
✱ Structure of the site
This is the second important step to follow. Putting the right keywords at the right place on the site can improve your prospects so much.
The structure of the site should be such that your customers don’t face any inconvenience while browsing your site. The navigation of your site, category pages, product pages should altogether provide a good user experience to the user.
✱ On-page SEO strategy
On-page SEO strategy is about making sure that your keywords are in the right place. It is done to let Google know what your page is about. It is important because it improves the visibility of your site in the search engine results page.
Your keyword should be included
- In the title tag
- In meta description
- In the body of the content
- In image alt text
✱ Local SEO
In the recent times, local searches have become very popular and common. Marketers needs to make changes in their SEO strategy according to that. Especially if we talk about SEO of e-commerce websites, since people prefers to buy products from their local shops, if you extend your visibility to local searches it will produce very good results. For instance, a person looking for a Nike shoes will search “Nike store near me” or “Nike store in my city”.
You can do it by
- Claiming your Google My business profile which lets you provide your business’s details into Google’s database. This allows you to show up in search results.
- Give details like your business address, contact information, opening hours, pictures, reviews etc.
- Building local citations. These are backlinks from other local websites like magazines, local news media etc.
✱ Link building for e-commerce website
Two most important factors Google cares about are Content and Links.
They are part of off-page SEO, hence they take little time to show results than on-page SEO. You can collaborate with other content creators and website owners to get those links. There are some link building opportunities
- Resource page link building- These are pages full of resources about your company. They can be in a form of blog post and a static page as well. They are easier to get and can give your site boost in ranking.
- Collaborating with influencers- this is one of the popular methods these days to improve the traffic on your website. You can partner with social media influencers and ask them to promote your organization and products. Their followers will give your site some boost and more conversions.
- Building broken link- It is a common and effective link building technique. You can email the owner of the specific link if it is broken which you can spot as link highlighted in red.
✱ Track your SEO success
After doing all the hard work you can’t just sit back, you need to track the progress made regularly. You can take help of some tools to measure your SEO success.
- You can use a tool like Ahrefs to track the search rankings
- Besides that, you can use Google Analytics to track the organic traffic your website is gathering.
To sum up
SEO is an important part of any marketing strategy. E-commerce platforms need to have good and effective SEO tactics in order to increase the traffic and engagement on their site. Because providing great content is not enough, a well planned SEO strategy is also necessary.
Just get in touch for more informative and interesting articles.